Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Link Between Parkinson's and Tooth Decay

I went to the Dentist today (10/3/18). To put it bluntly, my teeth are falling apart. I was told today, that I have about five teeth that are worth saving, and even those were weak. The conclusion? To extract them all out for full dentures.

That prognosis caused my wife, Lenita, to ask when I started noticing the decay accelerating. I thought back, and it appeared to happen around the time my Parkinson's symptoms started appearing. I did a quick search on "Parkinson's and Tooth Decay" and came up with a series of articles. This scholarly article seems to put a definite correlation between the two. Indeed, another article talked about a study that compared tooth decay among differing types of neurological conditions, and the PD had the worst record of good health and healthy teeth.

So, I'm just saying, if you have or get PD in the future, you may want to pay special attention to your teeth and your dental hygiene. Your doctor is probably not aware of this information as there isn't a lot of studies done on this topic. It may be too late for my teeth, but not for yours.

My problem is finding the money to get this done. Could be a couple of years or more as we struggle to get back on our feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment