Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Move and some News

Well, our move is proceeding along at a brisk pace. We've successfully got all our stuff gone through, what needs to be thrown away is thrown away, boxes in the garage waiting to go to GoodWill, the inspection report is done and our payoff balance has been solidified. We just had the appraisal done today (or yesterday by this point) so we're praying that comes out good for our buyer's bank.

So far, we are still set to close on September 7th, and we will be on our way to Denver, CO after that happens. So much needs to fall into place for that move to happen.

Well, one big piece of the puzzle fell into place today. This past morning, I had a phone interview with the program director at the YMCA in the Denver area. It went real well, and from all I can tell, I'm going to be hired to do a Zumba Gold class as well as back up for regular Zumba classes at the main Y, as well as all the other 5 Ys in the area! She assured me I would have a place in the Denver YMCAs.

That has motivated me to renew my practice. I'm excited for that opportunity! For those who have encouraged me and pushed me along this path, I am very grateful. I am now really looking forward to going to Denver, even though I regret missing my friends here. New places, new opportunities!

On my Parkinson's front, my symptoms are still being purely controlled by my DBS implants. I'm still good enough that I'm washing windows on a regular basis. Life is good.

About the only problems I have is needing to turn it down when I do Zumba (or my feet get too excited), and when I sleep (or I hit my wife in the night.) The only problems I have during the day is:

1. I get a little over excited when I bend over or get up from a squat/lunge position. I generally am able to catch myself when that happens. I've discovered you need good balance to have DBS not because that will go away some, but because you'll need it to recover from those moments when you do lose your balance. I have to think when I get up from the floor or from a chair "center of gravity!"

2. My speech can easily get too soft. I've never been a loud person to begin with, but with no extra dopamine flowing through my brain, that has become a little more of a challenge. Sometimes I can compensate by speaking louder. Other times, like right after eating or when I become dehydrated, I feel as if I'm trying to talk through a mouthful of cotton. So sometimes speaking loud enough for others to hear me is a problem.

Other than that, I feel like I'm good most of the time, 24/7! That's a definite improvement over what I had experienced before. So yeah, almost a year later, I'm glad I had DBS surgery. It has changed my life for the better.

At least for the time being. I know the disease progresses still. I'm reminded of that every time I switch from the lower to the higher setting, because there is about a 3-5 second period of time when it is off and I shake like someone attached a giant vibrator to my body. It is during those periods of time that I'm reminded of what is being controlled. Like just under the surface, there is this monster waiting for its inevitable rise to take over my body.

Someday. Just not yet.

I was sad to hear of my uncle-in-law who recently died of complications due to his Parkinson's. It reminded me that Parkinson's Disease is listed as the 14th cause of death in the USA. It puts a nail in the coffin of the saying people frequently cite: "You don't die of Parkinson's, you die with it."

I imagine people say that to make it not be so much the boogyman that other diseases like cancer or ALS are. It is a slower way to die, I'll give it that. However, that may not be such a good thing in itself. What is easier to go through? To die quickly or slowly?

At any rate, I'm still able at this point, thanks not only to the DBS, but also all the exercise I've done and my healthy diet. to live a normal life. I attribute it all to those three factors. That means for the time being, I'll continue to be a Zumba instructor and a window washer, as well as write stories in me that are wanting to come out.

So between the move and the new job, I'm ready to start on my new journey as I continue to battle my Parkinson's.

So, what have you accomplished of late?

No comments:

Post a Comment