Search This Blog

Monday, February 9, 2015

Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid - Round 2: Day 4.5

My bottle of TUDCA arrived Wednesday as expected. Started taking it that evening at the dosage I mentioned before: 5 250 mg pills through the day for 1250 mg/day. At the point I'm typing this, I've been taking it for 4.5 days.

Summary


TUDCA is improving the scores, but not as quickly or dramatically as before. But there is a factor to consider as to why that might be, explained below. But the fact it has affected the same symptoms positively is a further indication that TUDCA was the cause of the previous symptom improvements.

Now, onto the updated scores.

Rating scale: 1 = PD symptom at its worst. 10 = PD symptom not noticeable, feels normal.


Restarting TUDCA: Day 4.5



Low bass notes became functional again

Pre-Azilect: 3
Post-Azilect: 3
With TUDCA: 10
Week 1 off TUDCA: 6
Week 2 off TUDCA: 4
Day 4.5 on TUDCA: 8

As before, I noticed on day 2 some improvement in my ability to hit low notes with consistency and volume. This Sunday while singing bass notes, it confirmed it was significantly better than it was last Sunday. Notes last Sunday that sounded like a weak radio cutting out now stayed pretty strong. I'm not jumping it back to a full 10 yet because I don't think it is quite as solid as it was before.

Cogwheel motion

Pre-Azilect: 4
Post-Azilect: 5
With TUDCA: 8
Week 1 off TUDCA: 6
Week 2 off TUDCA: 5
Day 4.5 on TUDCA:7

Unlike before, I didn't see a huge improvement here, but there is some.  The most telling progress was in shampooing my hair. The left hand was more able to keep up with the right hand than it did last Sunday morning, but still wasn't quite as smooth or perfectly matching the motions of my right hand as it was by this point the first time around.

Typing speed and ease

Pre-Azilect: 4
Post-Azilect: 6
With TUDCA: 8
Week 1 off TUDCA: 7
Week 2 off TUDCA: 6
Day 4.5 on TUDCA: 7

This one is a bit spotty at this moment. Earlier this week, I started having pretty strong dystonia (stiffness) in my left arm and fingers, so that several times I had to shift to two-fingered typing to write anything. It seemed worse than it has been in some time, close to how it felt about mid-week when I went off the Sinemet for a week last November. Since restarting the TUDCA, there have been increased bouts of improved typing, but most nights still had a lot of dystonia that made typing difficult. As a matter of fact, I'd say typing right now is about the best night I've had in that regard since restarting TUDCA. So my 7 is for how I'm doing right now, 4.5 days after starting. If I'd been filling out this form last night, I probably would have kept it at a 6. If I continue to see more nights like this through this next week, I'll likely bump this score on up to an 8 again.

But obviously something is going on with my body symptoms this week before restarting TUDCA, which seems to have put the score into a bigger deficit than I recorded last Sunday. Indeed, I would say if I were to score this on Wed, I'd say it was at a 4. In light of that, the jump to a 7 is more significant than the numbers would indicate when compared to last Sunday.

Dystonia

Pre-Azilect: 4
Post-Azilect:5
With TUDCA: 8
Week 1 off TUDCA: 6
Week 2 off TUDCA: 5
Day 4.5 on TUDCA: 6

As with typing speed, it was in a deficit since last Sunday, around a 3-4 rating. So this is some improvement, but I'm certainly not as well off as I was the first time by this point. Even now, I'm feeling a need to stretch my left arm thanks to the stiff feeling in my arm. That said, it is better than last week.

Tremors in left hand

Pre-Azilect: 3
Post-Azilect: 5
With TUDCA: 9
Week 1 off TUDCA: 7
Week 2 off TUDCA: 5
Day 4.5 on TUDCA: 6

For the same reasons, my tremors have only slightly improved at this point from last week. There are periods when I don't have much, and other points when it is present. On Wednesday when I restarted TUDCA, I'd rate them a 4. Maybe 3.5.

Toe-curling

Pre-Azilect: 4
Post-Azilect: 5
With TUDCA: 7
Week 1 off TUDCA: 6
Week 2 off TUDCA: 5.5
Day 4.5 on TUDCA: 6

I've not noticed it as much in the last couple of days, so some improvement. If it keeps going, should rank higher next week.

Conclusions


Though the increases are not as dramatic as they were the last time, overall the PD symptoms have improved in the last 4 days taking TUDCA again.  Given the continued downward slide lower than were I was when the Azilect benefits kicked in--noted in "Post-Azilect" scores--it is obvious the gains made in the first 4 days are a little more dramatic than the above scores might indicate. It is like TUDCA first had to slow the freight train down before turning it around.

It will be interesting to note by next week is how many of my symptom scores have returned to equal or near-equal what they were the first time. Or will they max out at a lower level?

I think the answer to that depends on why my symptoms were worse for the days right before restarting TUDCA. I have three likely theories as to why that happened.

1. In the 2.5 weeks off TUDCA, my PD progressed at a fairly rapid rate. The wearing-off of TUDCA allowed that to manifest itself in symptom scores closer to pre-Azilect than post-Azilect. If true, I may not see symptom scores return to previous levels.

2. In the month since I started the first round with TUDCA, the Azilect has gradually become less effective. Going off the TUDCA revealed that loss during the 2.5 weeks before starting again. If so, I'd expect the symptom scores to return closer this coming week to what they were the first time around.

3. A longer shot, but for the first 2 weeks off TUDCA, my wife and I started the DASH diet plan for weight loss. The plan cuts out all sugar, including fruit, for the first two weeks. Then in the weeks following, fruit and grains are added in. It could be at the beginning of this past week adding those things in adversely affected my symptoms, as sugar is known to be a cause of inflammation. Especially if your body has adjusted to getting very little of it. My body may not have responded quick enough to the reintroduction of those foods to compensate, having been "put to sleep" by inactivity. If that is the case, I'd expect my body to adjust and those scores get up to where they were before.

4. A mixture of some or all of the above.

My hunch is it is primarily #2. #1 might have played into it, but I've not seen to date that rapid of a rate of symptom decline or progression of the disease since starting this journey. That said, PD is an unpredictable animal. I could progress rapidly for a month or two, then maintain those levels for the next 5 years. You just don't know what it is going to do. So I can't rule it out, but it seems unlikely. Especially in light of not having seen other symptoms not being tracked here not get significantly worse during that same period. For instance, no return of drooling or constipation, nor loss of mental abilities.

The coming week should give more insight to how TUDCA will do this time.

Next Monday I'll be seeing my neurologist again. He's already prescribed for my Azilect to be raised from 0.5 mg/day to 1 mg/day. I've not started that dose yet and don't plan to at least until I know the new pills are here. But even then I'll probably wait until my doctor visit.

On one hand, I expect the Azilect increase to help with my symptoms since it did the first time. On the other, I know it will increase my dyskinesia symptoms and I'm not looking forward to that. Though they are no where near as bad as Michael J. Fox's, I'm hoping the Doc will be able to help me minimize that.

So it may be TUDCA has just this one more week to do its thing before I throw more variables into the mix and muddy the waters.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment